----- Original Message -----

From: Friedreich's Ataxia Research

To: fapg@... ; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ; Paul Konanz

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:49 PM

Subject: Re: [FAPG] Ediison A-0001 Phase I Trial Participants

Hello all,

I'd like to follow Paul's excellent comments with some information FARA has obtained about the A0001 trial.  This information reinforces Paul's points about the format of this trial as compared with the Idebenone trial and may help answer some of your questions.

The phase I trial of A0001, as stated in the release, is in healthy volunteers. It is being conducted by a Contract Research Organization (CRO) that was chosen by Penwest Pharmaceuticals and with which FARA has no dealings.  This is, by the way, the more typical way phase I trials are conducted (by CROs in healthy volunteers that they have on their rolls).  I believe phase I of the Idebenone trial was conducted, atypically, in FA patients primarily because Idebenone had already been "in a lot of people."  Idebenone had been tried at low doses in a number of other diseases such as Parkinson's, Huntington's and Alzheimer's, and had been taken by a lot of healthy people as an anti-aging or brain-function aid.  So, the FDA agreed the Idebenone phase I could be in FA patients.  Similarly, the iron chelator Deferiprone and EPO have both been "in a lot of people" with other indications, so the phase I work, or pilot studies, in those two drugs have been conducted in FA patients.

A0001, however, has not been "in a lot of people" so the FDA suggested beginning with the typical phase I approach - in healthy volunteers.   FARA has not seen the protocol for this phase I study of A0001 and would not usually need to see it.  My understanding is, though, that carrier status would usually disqualify a potential participant.  I believe healthy participants are usually young students with no involvement at all with the disease in question.  CROs normally recruit the healthy volunteers very quickly from their own rolls and ads and have no trouble doing so.  This A0001 phase I trial, for example, is to use only 60 healthy volunteers and 10 of them were dosed on the very first day (last Friday).

As Paul states, phase I of this trial, like all phase I trials, will focus on safety.  Like the phase I of Idebenone, it will look at safety in a dose-escalating manner and will attempt to identify the maximum tolerated dose.  Data from this phase I trial will be used to establish safety of A0001 in humans and will help instruct selection of the best doses to use in the phase II in FA patients.

We will ALL be VERY much involved in the phase II of the trial, of course, and FARA will let everybody know about timing and inclusion/exclusion criteria, etc.  We are in constant contact with the drug companies involved, on a daily basis, and will be working very hard to accelerate their timelines.  FARA's Scientific Advisors and Board of Directors meet at the end of next week and we will review, based on reports we are now receiving from all the drug companies, the schedules and timelines for all the clinical trials currently underway and coming up.  Of course, we will let everybody know the results and how you can help.

In preparation for all these clinical trials, please make sure all FA patients are signed up in the FARA Patient Registry and for FARA's electronic bulletins and newsletters.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards to all,

Ron

(Ron & Raychel; Keith-22-FA; Byron-24-clear; Stuart-19-carrier)

Ronald J. Bartek
President
Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA)
P. O. Box 1537
Springfield, VA 22151
Tel                (703) 426-1576
FARA website: http://www.CureFA.org

Email: fara@...

Please register in the FARA Patient Registry at http://www.curefa.org/registry/

and for e-news at http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101190303489

--- On Wed,

From: Paul Konanz

Subject: [FAPG] Edison A-0001 Phase I Trial Participants
To: fapg@..., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date:
Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 10:11 PM

Reminder on the Edison A-0001Phase I Trial

It is wonderful news that one more possible FA treatment is starting FDA trials, with the announcement of the Edison A-0001 Phase I trial.
One note is that this Phase I trial is to completely focus on safety in human subjects using non-FA-involved participants. In the press release
it says, "The phase I clinical trial just initiated by Penwest Pharmaceuticals will be conducted in healthy volunteers...".

For sure this means no FA'ers will be involved and very probably no carriers (parents, siblings, etc) either. I have little information
on the protocol at this time (this trial is not on the NIH trial page). Looking at the Idebenone Phase I trial as an example can give you a feel
for what is involved in a safety-testing-only trial. That trial was split into an A and B sections, with A being a single dose to volunteers with
close scrutiny for some time after the dose, and B was several doses up to 75mg/Kg/day for one month with the same close scrutiny.
DO NOTE FOR IDEBENONE THEY USED FAers.
They aren't with the A-0001, according to the press release. If you are interested, the Idebenone Phase IB trial description can be found here,
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00078481?term=Friedreich%27s+Ataxia&rank=4

So, please don't try to volunteer for this A-0001 trial if you think you have one or more bad FA-related genes. Several of the FA
organizations have received many inquiries but have little information because they are not involved and we don't qualify anyway. :-)

These organizations did comment how they appreciated the interest and willingness of the families to so quickly contact them!
It demonstrated how closely tied in to advances in research we are.

Regards,

Paul

The legacy of Marie Schlau: literature to help cure Friedreich's Ataxia

If you feel like reading an unputdownable novel while collaborating with a just and solidary cause, "The Legacy of Marie Schlau" is your book! 100% of all funds raised will be dedicated to medical research to find a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia, a neurodegenerative disease that affects mostly young people, shortening their life expectancy and confining them to a wheelchair.

The life of Marie Schlau, a German Jewish girl born in 1833 hides great unsolved mysteries: accidents, disappearances, enigmas, unknown diagnoses, disturbing murders, love, tenderness, greed, lies, death ... alternatively a different story unfolds every time and takes us closer to the present. Thus, there are two parallel stories unravelling, each in a different age and place, which surprisingly converge in a revelatory chapter.

Paperback and Kindle versions for "The legacy of Marie Schlau" available for sale at Amazon now!

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Marie-Schlau-collective-Friedreichs-ebook/dp/B01N28AFWZ

Research projects currently being financed by BabelFAmily

Currently, BabelFAmily is financing two promising research projects aimed at finding a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia. Whenever you make a donation to us or purchase a copy of "The legacy of Marie Schlau", this is where all funds raised will be devoted to:

1) Gene Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/international-patient-advocates-partner-to-fund-spanish-gene-therapy-project-to-treat

The project is the result of an initiative of Spanish people affected by this rare disease who are grouped in GENEFA in collaboration with the Spanish Federation of Ataxias and the BabelFAmily. The Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA), one of the main patients’ associations in the United States now joins the endeavour.

2) Frataxin delivery research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/new-research-front-to-tackle-friedreichs-ataxia
The associations of patients and families Babel Family and the Asociación Granadina de la Ataxia de Friedreich (ASOGAF) channel 80,000 euros of their donations (50% from each organisation) into a new 18-month project at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona). The project specifically aims to complete a step necessary in order to move towards a future frataxin replacement therapy for the brain, where the reduction of this protein causes the most damage in patients with Friedreich’s Ataxia.

The study is headed by Ernest Giralt, head of the Peptides and Proteins Lab, who has many years of experience and is a recognised expert in peptide chemistry and new systems of through which to delivery drugs to the brain, such as peptide shuttles—molecules that have the capacity to carry the drug across the barrier that surrounds and protects the brain. Since the lab started its relation with these patients’ associations in 2013*, it has been developing another two projects into Friedrich’s Ataxia.

Go to top