----- Original Message -----

From: Paul Konanz

To: fapg <mailto:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>

Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 3:18 PM

Subject: [FAPG] Discussions/Deferiprone

Just in case some of the group did not find Claudie Baleydier's good input  on Deferiprone at the bottom of the Email, ...

From Claudie:

Deferiprone is not a miracle , here , in France there was an open trial including few people , we have heard about the boy going out from his wheelchair but several other patients stopped taking Deferiprone, one of them nearly died (blood issue) and other found no change. So Deferiprone can be useful for some people but you have to be very cautious about.

23 de noviembre de 2008 12:48

Deferiprone messages from AFAF November 2008

Translation by Marion Clark

From:  Ludivine Arriberouge

Date:  Tuesday, 11/11/08

Subject:  Re:[afaf] deferiprone

Hello,

I also participated in the deferiprone trial two years ago.  I had a reduced white cell count, like Marine Cartier.  It was Prof. Munich [sic] who called me personally to tell me to stop the treatment.  Following this unsuccessful trial I didn’t see any change, either for better or for worse.  On the other hand, I know that this drug has helped many other ataxians:  speech, fine motor skills, walking.

In my case and especially in Marine’s case, it was the whole team that messed up and not just Munich [sic].  Now, they’ve corrected their mistakes and adapted the dosages.

In addition, in October, I went to see Professor Munich [sic], and he had me do a blood test.  Later that afternoon he called me back because my blood sugar level was at 5.  That same evening at the hospital I learned that I had diabetes and that I was lucky to have avoided a coma.

Thanks, Munich [sic]…

Greetings to all, till next time

From:  Marine Cartier

To:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Date:  Sunday, 11/9/08

Professor Munnich gave me this treatment at too high a dose and I found myself with my white count dropping, to the point that I had 13 in my body.  At the time of the clinical trial, I had blood tests done every 15 days, so they saw perfectly well that my white blood cell count was falling from week to week.  The error of Prof. Munnich was in not looking at the blood tests that the lab was faxing to him.  I was saved at the very last minute, so if anyone is supposed to take this medication, please, be very careful.

Best wishes,

Marine

The legacy of Marie Schlau: literature to help cure Friedreich's Ataxia

If you feel like reading an unputdownable novel while collaborating with a just and solidary cause, "The Legacy of Marie Schlau" is your book! 100% of all funds raised will be dedicated to medical research to find a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia, a neurodegenerative disease that affects mostly young people, shortening their life expectancy and confining them to a wheelchair.

The life of Marie Schlau, a German Jewish girl born in 1833 hides great unsolved mysteries: accidents, disappearances, enigmas, unknown diagnoses, disturbing murders, love, tenderness, greed, lies, death ... alternatively a different story unfolds every time and takes us closer to the present. Thus, there are two parallel stories unravelling, each in a different age and place, which surprisingly converge in a revelatory chapter.

Paperback and Kindle versions for "The legacy of Marie Schlau" available for sale at Amazon now!

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Marie-Schlau-collective-Friedreichs-ebook/dp/B01N28AFWZ

Research projects currently being financed by BabelFAmily

Currently, BabelFAmily is financing two promising research projects aimed at finding a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia. Whenever you make a donation to us or purchase a copy of "The legacy of Marie Schlau", this is where all funds raised will be devoted to:

1) Gene Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/international-patient-advocates-partner-to-fund-spanish-gene-therapy-project-to-treat

The project is the result of an initiative of Spanish people affected by this rare disease who are grouped in GENEFA in collaboration with the Spanish Federation of Ataxias and the BabelFAmily. The Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA), one of the main patients’ associations in the United States now joins the endeavour.

2) Frataxin delivery research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/new-research-front-to-tackle-friedreichs-ataxia
The associations of patients and families Babel Family and the Asociación Granadina de la Ataxia de Friedreich (ASOGAF) channel 80,000 euros of their donations (50% from each organisation) into a new 18-month project at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona). The project specifically aims to complete a step necessary in order to move towards a future frataxin replacement therapy for the brain, where the reduction of this protein causes the most damage in patients with Friedreich’s Ataxia.

The study is headed by Ernest Giralt, head of the Peptides and Proteins Lab, who has many years of experience and is a recognised expert in peptide chemistry and new systems of through which to delivery drugs to the brain, such as peptide shuttles—molecules that have the capacity to carry the drug across the barrier that surrounds and protects the brain. Since the lab started its relation with these patients’ associations in 2013*, it has been developing another two projects into Friedrich’s Ataxia.

Go to top