----- Original Message -----
From: Anna Bisogno-Coutts
Cc: undisclosed recipient
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 3:25 AM
Subject: Re: [fara] mise a jour/update: Santhera et son - Catena/Idebenone/Mnésis/SNT-MC17 - from Santhera

Ron, I hope you read this!

Michel,

I live in Ontario, you don't have to pay for Idebenone.  It is still covered by the IMD program and is imported from Kirkman Labs by a company in Quebec.  First, you don't need Catena, continue to take Idebenone, its just a name difference.  My Doctors and Pharamacist met with the rep from Catena, when asked why it was suddenly so expensive he didn't respond, no answer, no reason.  The drug cost the same to manufacture, they are gauging, they are disgusting.  To think that we, FARA, helped fund these studies, helped them get the approval so they could make a fortune.
They should be ashamed of themselves and we as a group should refuse any further funds to them for research.  We should be more diligent in protecting our children and adult FA patients.

I say never give these people another dime toward research, chose a different pharmaceutical and make a deal with them, upfront that they promise to keep the drug affordable.

My Pharmacist will no longer be able to provide me with Idebenone, so now, I am going back to Dr. Tarnopolsky who helped keep Idebenone approved by the IMD program, he will let me know the ropes.  Once I find out, I will ask him if its o.k. for other Canadian Doctors to contact him to find out the process.

In the meantime I encourage you to buy it online, it's a lot cheaper than Catena.  $50.00 cdn for 60 150mg pills.

I will write to as soon as I know.

Anna

The legacy of Marie Schlau: literature to help cure Friedreich's Ataxia

If you feel like reading an unputdownable novel while collaborating with a just and solidary cause, "The Legacy of Marie Schlau" is your book! 100% of all funds raised will be dedicated to medical research to find a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia, a neurodegenerative disease that affects mostly young people, shortening their life expectancy and confining them to a wheelchair.

The life of Marie Schlau, a German Jewish girl born in 1833 hides great unsolved mysteries: accidents, disappearances, enigmas, unknown diagnoses, disturbing murders, love, tenderness, greed, lies, death ... alternatively a different story unfolds every time and takes us closer to the present. Thus, there are two parallel stories unravelling, each in a different age and place, which surprisingly converge in a revelatory chapter.

Paperback and Kindle versions for "The legacy of Marie Schlau" available for sale at Amazon now!

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Marie-Schlau-collective-Friedreichs-ebook/dp/B01N28AFWZ

Research projects currently being financed by BabelFAmily

Currently, BabelFAmily is financing two promising research projects aimed at finding a cure for Friedreich's Ataxia. Whenever you make a donation to us or purchase a copy of "The legacy of Marie Schlau", this is where all funds raised will be devoted to:

1) Gene Therapy for Friedreich's Ataxia research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/international-patient-advocates-partner-to-fund-spanish-gene-therapy-project-to-treat

The project is the result of an initiative of Spanish people affected by this rare disease who are grouped in GENEFA in collaboration with the Spanish Federation of Ataxias and the BabelFAmily. The Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA), one of the main patients’ associations in the United States now joins the endeavour.

2) Frataxin delivery research project:

https://www.irbbarcelona.org/en/news/new-research-front-to-tackle-friedreichs-ataxia
The associations of patients and families Babel Family and the Asociación Granadina de la Ataxia de Friedreich (ASOGAF) channel 80,000 euros of their donations (50% from each organisation) into a new 18-month project at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona). The project specifically aims to complete a step necessary in order to move towards a future frataxin replacement therapy for the brain, where the reduction of this protein causes the most damage in patients with Friedreich’s Ataxia.

The study is headed by Ernest Giralt, head of the Peptides and Proteins Lab, who has many years of experience and is a recognised expert in peptide chemistry and new systems of through which to delivery drugs to the brain, such as peptide shuttles—molecules that have the capacity to carry the drug across the barrier that surrounds and protects the brain. Since the lab started its relation with these patients’ associations in 2013*, it has been developing another two projects into Friedrich’s Ataxia.

Go to top